Kurundu Oya Ella Falls is located close to Walapane town. It is a mistake for many people to name the second highest waterfall in Sri Lanka as Kurundu Oya Ella Falls. This is the third highest waterfall in Sri Lanka. The second highest waterfall is Kalugala Garadi Falls. The height is 240 meters. Kurundu Oya Ella Falls is 189 meters high. The waterfall formed by Kurundu Oya joins the Mahaweli River. It is the tallest waterfall in the Nuwara Eliya District and the tallest waterfall in the Mahaweli River. Although it is not a major tourist attraction due to its difficulty in reaching, the cleanliness of the falls is not good due to the high settlements.
It should be noted that due to the hydro power plant built in the middle of the falls, the entire falls today cannot be seen in their former beauty.
Height in Kurundu Oya Ella Falls:
- Visiting the falls is not easy
- The road to the falls is very difficult and full of poisonous thorn bushes
- The leeches are a little too much during the rainy season
- This is a really dangerous waterfall
- The water never runs low. The water is dirty. Can't even get close enough to touch a drop of water
- watch out, The most beautiful waterfall ever seen in Sri Lanka
The best road is behind Halasbedda Uvawatta Tamil College behind Walapane Town. It's easier to go with someone you know.