If you love mountaineering, this is another place to go. The Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain) in the village of Maskeliya in Sri Lanka is a very beautiful place.There is another story to be told about the Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain). The biggest plane crash in Sri Lanka took place at this place.
No doubt you have ever heard of the Sleeping Virgin Mountains. The worst plane crash in Sri Lanka has taken place near the Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain).
The plane is said to have departed from Surabaya, Indonesia, roughly from UTC to Jeddah. Around 4.30 pm, the plane was removed by the UTC controller. The crew continued their journey until the plane crashed at an altitude of 4,355 feet and Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain), about 40 nm east of Colombo.
The crash killed 191 passengers and crew. The crash is the third deadliest in Sri Lankan aviation history and the third DC-8 after Arrow Air Flight 1285 and Nigeria Airways Flight 2120. Flight 08 with 184 passengers and 07 crew on board was en route to Mecca via Sri Lanka when it crashed into the famous Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain) on December 4, 1974, exactly 10 minutes after 10 p.m. That is stated in the reports. The plane was completely destroyed in the crash, killing all 191 people on board.
We set foot in that beautiful environment that belongs to the Nottingham Bridge Police Division in the Ambagamuwa Divisional Secretariat, Nuwara Eliya District. The beautiful Laxapana Falls can be reached by turning left at the Double Cutting Junction at the “Binduwa” (0) post past the Norton Bridge town where the Wimalasurendra Hydro Power Plant, the first hydro power plant in the country is located.
As we continue along the road, we see that beautiful, fascinating mountain range on the right. O was nicknamed the "Sleeping Virgin" because of the seven mountains that lined up as sisters.
The Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain) above the Laxapana Hydro Power Plant is a beautiful mountain range with a beautiful environment hidden in a blanket for most of the day. Also, the Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain), a paradise for climbers, was a source of memory that shook the world that day and brought tears to the eyes of the majority.
How to reach:
Maskeliya (Nuwaraeliya District)
Ginigathhena --> Norton bridge --> 4th mile post at Maskeliya-Norton road --> Polpitiya,Hangarapitiya road --> Uda Laksahapana Gala Hike --> Descend to Rose farm --> 4th mile post --> Back along same route
- Needs permission from wild life authority
- No need of permission in Norton Police
- Be alert on weather
- Difficult in rainy days
- The scenery is breathtaking for those who climb Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain), especially as there is not even a stream to carry enough water for the climbers.
- There is a village opinion that if you do not cross the Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain) without drinking alcohol, you will get into various troubles
- Because there are several hills and slopes, it is advisable to climb the group together with great care
- Saptha Kanya (Seven Virgins Mountain) is a hike with extreme bitterness and amazing beauty
- The special thing is for those who are wandering and drinking and traveling. Don't go here
- Leaving only the footprints Come on
- Take bottles of water
- Use leech Repellent
- Wear attire suitable for protection against thorns
- Get a guide if possible
- Ask directions from locals
- Don’t disturb wild life
- Nature Exploring