Pilkington Point is another scenic spot located in Poonagala Rd, Bandarawela, Uva Province, Sri Lanka. Also called poonagala view point
. Pilkinton Point (poonagala view point) in the Poonagala Tea Estate is located 1400 meters above sea level
and was named in 1898 by Sir George Pilkinton
, the first manager of the Poonagala Company
You can reach Poonagala town after traveling about 22 km on the Bandarawela Poonagala road. A few more kms further along the Koslanda Road you will come across sections of the Poonagala Estate leading to the gorge. From that entrance you have to walk about 2 Km to Pilkington Point (poonagala view point)
Corner. You'll have to pay a small fee at the entrance to this place
If you come to visit this place in the morning, you can see some very beautiful scenery. Here you can see five districts of Sri Lanka. You can also see Wellawaya, Kataragama Kirivehera, Moneragala, Abilipitiya and Udawalawe
The route leading to this place is full of beautiful scenery. Both sides of the road enjoy tea estates. You can also see the Diyaluma Falls
at a distance of about 4 km from the Pilkington Point (poonagala view point).
There are school children on both sides of the road in the morning and evening. From time to time as the fog passes through the tea plantation, the whole area is gorgeous.
Moving upwards from the Pilkington Point (poonagala view point), you will encounter another point. It takes about 45 minutes to travel to that corner. It is called Millennium Point
. At this point you can see a much clearer view than the view from Pilkington Point (poonagala view point). It gives you an unforgettable scenery at the top of the mountain.
The Millennium Point
can only be reached on foot. It is an adventurous journey. This is a large elephant trail.
Go to the top of the pilkington point (poonagala view point), reducing the plasticity as much as you can. Remember that it is your duty to love the environment and bring back all the garbage you carry.
How to reach:
The closest city to this place is Poonagala. This place is located about 19.4 km from the Poonagala road.
- Haputale --> 35 KMs in Bandarawela-Poonagala-Koslanda Rd --> Pilkington Point Road --> Pilkington Point
- Ella --> 26 KMs in Bandarawela-Poonagala-Koslanda Rd --> Pilkington Point Road --> Pilkington Point
- Bandarawela --> Poongala --> Pilkington & Millenium Points
50min (Poonagala to Pilkington Point)
Poonagala Rd, Bandarawela
Best time to visit:
Morning time on any given day
Things to wear to hiking Pilkington Point (poonagala view point):
Things to take to hiking Pilkington Point (poonagala view point):
- Warm clothing
- Hiking boots with a good grip
- Bug repellant
- Water bottle
- Energy bars
Around LKR 250
- Address: Poonagala Rd, Bandarawela, Sri Lanka
- Contact Number : +94-724690633
- Remember to be prepared for heavy fog and strong winds
- Avoid traveling here in the evening as elephants roam
- Start walking as early as possible to avoid the fog in the evening
- Carry a telescope.
- Be sure to bring your own water bottle as the excess water here is not suitable for drinking.